Chad Costen is an all-in-one movie-making machine who consistently delivers high production value, even on limited budgets. He began his career in animation and prop-making; cutting his teeth on commercials, television series and feature films including: "BLADE 2", "DREAM KEEPER", "HONEY, I SHRUNK THE KIDS" and "CAITLIN'S WAY". Chad's skills range from directing, screen-writing and camera work, to illustration, visual-FX, puppetry, practical effects, and picture editing. His focus has always been visual storytelling, whatever form that may take, and the desire to explore meaningful ideas, produce thoughtful work, and combine his varied interests into a single career has evolved into a life dedicated to independent filmmaking.
His first feature film, THE COMING, was completed in 2008 and has since garnered over 2 million views on YouTube. Chad has also co-written and directed several short films including THE LOOKING GLASS, MERRY CHRISTMAS, MR. SCARUGI and DEATH WISH, which was nominated for seven LEO awards (available on iTunes). He also wrote & directed the first two episodes of GAIA_TheSeries, a twelve-part web-series that aims to raise money for Environmental and Wildlife Organizations. He has directed several small commercial spots, designed and created motion graphics and VFX for several independent film companies, and won the Grand Prize in the 3 GATES OF THE DEAD short film competition.
Beyond the director's chair, Chad remains active in practical visual effects and creature-making, having created and performed "Michael" the ZOMBIE SPIDER for Episode 11 of Felicia Day's GEEK & SUNDRY series 'Written By A Kid' (recently obtained by LEGENDARY PICTURES), and took up the role as Lead Puppeteer / Co-Fabricator for two elaborate Mermaid Monster Creatures that were featured in the Dark Fantasy film CHARLOTTE'S SONG, Directed by Nicholas Humphries (The ABC's of Death / Death Do Us Part) and starring Iwan Rheon from GAME OF THRONES.
Chad's latest projects include a pilot script and proof-of-concept pitch video package for a LEGEND OF ZELDA live-action series, pre-production on a Lovecraftian short film / TV series pilot entitled THE MUSIC OF ERIKA ZANN, Starring Magda Apanowicz (Continuum / The Green Inferno), and the continued development of two new feature projects: LIFE ETERNAL and MISTER SANDMAN.
Chad was also honored in 2014 with the Chad Costen Foundation Program Scholarship, which is awarded to a new student entering the Foundation Visual Art & Design Program at THE VANCOUVER FILM SCHOOL. Coincidentally, Chad was himself a full-scholarship recipient and graduate of the VFS Film Production Program in 2003, the same institution where he now teaches Directing, Editing and Basic Cinematography.
GAIA_TheSeries (Episode 02)
- Web Series Festival Global (Best Science Fiction - 2015)
- La Webfest (Official Selection - 2015)
- Seattle Transmedia & Independent Film Festival (Official Selection - 2015)
- 3 GATES OF THE DEAD competition (Grand Prize Winner - 2014)
- 3 GATES OF THE DEAD competition (Audience Choice Winner - 2013)
THE REAL HOUSEWINES OF BRITISH COLUMBIA
- VINOS 2012 (First Place Winner – June 2012)
- CONUCOPIA ‘Best of the Vinos’ (First Place Winner – November 2012)
- Township 7 (Audience Choice Award – November 2011)
- Burbank Film Festival (Best Actress Award – September 2011)
- LEO AWARD for best Makeup +7 LEO Nominations (Incl. Best Program - June 2011)
- Vancouver Short Film Festival (Audience Choice Award – October 2010)
I HATE BROCCOLI
- (official selection - 2004)
OUT OF THIS WORLD
- BIG ROCK BEER commercial contest (finalist - 2000)